The days of relying on a steady flow of high volume work for most commercial printers has been replaced by requests from clients to do more frequent work using shorter runs. Unfortunately, the internal costs and time of makeready and drying often lead to prices unacceptable to these clients. Yes, they appreciate the high quality offset, but today’s print buyer has a wide variety of printers eager to meet quality, price and speed.
Fortunately, recent technological innovations in inkjet printing have coincided with the rise of short run work requests for offset printers running sheetfed or web presses.
How Inkjet Helps Commercial Printers
Recent innovations in inkjet technologies enable commercial printers to meet these demands and even compete in new, higher-margin printing business to capture more of their customers’ campaign work. Fujifilm has worked with offset printers internationally to design and develop sheetfed and web presses that deliver offset-quality inkjet prints representing the highest growth potential – run lengths of a few sheets to a few thousand.
Commercial printers utilize Fujifilm inkjet technologies today to successfully:
- Capture more of their clients branding business.
- Employ Variable Data Printing (VDP) into their product offering, dramatically increasing new higher margin business for runs of one to several thousand.
- Create new application opportunities like gatefold brochures, folders, posters and variable data direct mail.
- Print at half the costs for web-press driven applications like books, direct mail and transaction document.
- Enter the direct mail business with single-pass, high volume variable data printing as opposed to printing offset shells and overprinting with toner.
How Inkjet Dominates the Short Run
What The Experts Say
“The exciting new opportunity may be for sheetfed inkjet production presses, which may redefine the cost/quality production category for short- to medium-run lengths.”
“While it took offset technology nearly 100 years to become as versatile as it has in terms of being able to print on virtually any paper or substrate, it may take inkjet just a decade to be able to print on an unlimited range of papers.”